Thursday, January 12, 2012

Wilton Course 1, Class 1

Here it was! Jan 10th 2012, my first day of learning cake decoration techniques.... I was excited and a little tired after spending the better half of the day making cookies for the class and I was not looking forward to coming back from the class at around 9 pm and cook dinner....  But, I had no choice... So, I just sucked it up and went to my first class as optimistically as possible...
And, so I went to Miacheals and was among the first student to reach there ahead of time... Typical me.... Our instructor Theresa was an elderly lady, she was preparing for the class and her work area looked sort of messy... Within a few minutes all the other students came along, an old lady maybe in her late 50's, a mother and teen age daughter duo, a girl about my age and another best friends duo who were quite talkative...
The class got started, Theresa gave us the Lesson Plan book and spoke to us about a few cake basics... Hmm, lots of extra things that I still need to buy for baking good cakes... Ufff the more $$$ that need to be spent!!!!

She taught us how to make the icing and then we got started with icing our cookies.... I realized looking at the other girls that I was the only one who was actually new to this stuff... Most of them seemed to have done this stuff at some point of their lives, which did not surprise me because in US baking is a big part of their culture. Everyone knows some aspect of baking some way or the other. Every family has at least one baker or more who churns out all the delicious cakes, cookies, brownies, pies etc for all their birthday parties, bridal showers, baby showers and weddings of course! So, I need to buckle up....
I was slower than the others, and as we started icing the cookies my hands started shaking... Bhoooo....
What was wrong with me... I eat a LOT, so no, I was not weak or anything.... The instructor came to my rescue and taught me how to stabilize my icing and she said the reason my hand was shaking is just because I haven't used it  like this before... Oh! I just need to get some grip on my fingers by getting some exercise on a squeeze ball... Where do I find one? Dollar tree maybe....
anyway back to the class, we practised with different icing tips and then Theresa took us for a round in Micheals for a Wilton product tour... She told us the different products that we would need to buy for our classes ahead... Man, the list TO-BUY things just keeps getting longer and longer....  Okay, we shall see about it.... I need more of the awesome 50% coupons....
So, the class end with advice to practice more on the icing techniques and things to get to the 2nd class... Yea, a long list...
Here are some pictures from my first class.





No comments:

Post a Comment