Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Getting Ready for the First Class

Two days before my class, I decided I needed to make some sugar cookies to take to the class for icing as instructed. Guess what, I haven't baked any cookies ever as I am not really a  cookie person...I am more of a walnut brownie and cake person.. I could have just bought some from the grocery store and gone to the class, but I decided I need to learn some baking as well if I really wanted to decorate cakes and cookies in future....
In my opinion it makes no sense to buy a ready-made cookies or cake mixes from the store just to decorate them... I would prefer if the things I made were not just good looking cause of the cake decorating classes but tasted nice as well....

So, having this idea in mind.... I went to the kitchen to make a batch of plain sugar cookies... But while searching for recipes, I came across one of my favourite blogs called the ecurry and found a recipe for onion crackers... Well, with me spiciness always wins over the sweetness... So, I decided to make them instead... There was some pineapple lying in the fridge, so while on the ecurry blog I found a pineapple orange ginger cake that I had been eyeing for sometime and decided to make it too...
Well the onion cracker recipe was easy to make but the cake was altogether a different story... It was a lot more time consuming that a regular cake and I had never baked a fruit cake, so, I wasn't sure how it would turn out... Tiring!
The onions crackers turned out well... They were crunchy and nice the first day.... But I would need them to be crisp even the next day so need to make some changes to it for my needs the next time... Add some rice flour make be??!!?? Here are the onion cracker pictures...



Then, I baked the Pineapple-Oranger-Ginger cake... It looked nice and tasted fine too... At least that's what Viky said... But for me something was not right... The cake was too full of the fruit pupl which made it very dense and moist... This was my first fruit cake ever so I had nothing to compare it to... But I do not think I am not going to make any more multi fruit cakes now.... I am sticking to the classics... Vanilla, pound, yellow, chocolate... I am happy with them....   Well, I make 2 round cakes here, I Viky ate and 1 went to the dustbin... I just wasn't sure why.... Anyway here are its pictures....



No comments:

Post a Comment