Friday, January 20, 2012

Wilton Course 1, Class 2

In my first class I learnt about a lot of new equipments required to bake and decorate a decent cake... Oven thermometer, baking strips, cake leveller, cake carrier etc etc... Gosh!!! The list of things to be bought just keeps getting longer and and longer and longer.... kinda annoying... Anyway I need to get what I need.... I am happy that atleast Michaels gives to 40% coupons... I decided to buy the things in bits... few at a time.... So this week, before my 2nd class, I bought the Wilton cake turntable, cake carrier and the stuff I needed to make the butter cream icing...

Since, I am new to making butter cream icing and I forgot to ask our instructor Theresa some important question about storing the butter cream. I decided not to take a chance and make the butter cream just before I went to my class... I made 2 batches and marched away all prepared with the cake, filling etc for my 2nd class... As soon as Theresa saw my icing she said it was too thin, I had messed up with the recipe... I looked and looked and saw that I had put 1 cup sugar instead of 1 pound... How blind oh me!!! Grrrr.... So, I rushed outside and got a box of ready made icing.... Disaster averted...
Anyway the class was a lot of fun, time flew by.... I had made a store bought yellow cake... I had given the cake mix some thought and I had decided not to put too much energy in making a cake from the scratch for these classes, decorating was of utmost importance at this stage.... My cake was the thinnest cake in the class and I had to be very careful in cutting my already thin cake into half.... Uffff.. too much drama, wish I had a thick, fat cake... I filled it with chocolate pudding and decorated it.... It's a FISH on the cake,in case you have trouble figuring out what the thing is on the cake... I know, i need to improve...
The cake was sitting in my fridge for 2 days, before it went to be eaten by a bunch of students in our apartment... Neither me nor Viky have a sweet tooth, especially for the "butter cream icing'.... Its ironic, but I do want to learn the art of decorating cakes... who eats them is of least importance right now....
Here are some of the pictures..








No comments:

Post a Comment