Saturday, January 14, 2012

Philly

During the winter season, I am just so uninterested in exploring new places that are as chilly and cold as our town... So, when I got to know that we had to got to Philly, which classically falls in the above mentioned category I was sort of disinterested... Who wants to go sight seeing at -ve temperature....Not me!
Anyway, we went and after winding up our work decided to do some touristy things... Thankfully the first one on the list was indoors, it was the Philadelphia  Museum of Art. The only art museum I remember visiting is the SALARJUNG museum in Hyderabad and it is one of the largest museum's in India with very impressive collections of art & antiques.
So, back to Philly a city of art, history, Philly cheese steak . It is also the fifth most populous city in US and houses the biggest settlement of the Amish community... Umm, I didn't know that...
The museum's  architecture was simple, classic beautiful... It had huge galleries of all types of art... Some of the painting were really intriguing... After the museum, I wanted to go the Reading Terminal market but it was late and it was closed for the day... I was interested in seeing it because it was THE places for foodies like me...
Next day, we went to the market and it was such a pleasure... All kinds of fresh food, bakery items, candies, meat, home made cheese stalls my Amish folks... It was a great place to experience the Philly culture for a short time... Amish folks appearance amused me and I started googling them. And boy was I surprised by everything I read about them.... Here are a few things:
Amish maintain an 18th century lifestyle in a 21st century world.The Amish are averse to any technology which they feel weakens the family structure. The conveniences that the rest of us take for granted such as electricity, television, auto mobiles and telephones.And they dress old age too, long skirts, suits etc. They have big families with a lot of children. I was totally surprised with this community and their way of living. I never thought I would come across something like this in US.. I learn something new everyday....
Some of the pictures from the museum.








These are my favourites.


                                                  The FOUR seasons paintings
This painting depicts the Spring season:


This painting depicts Summer season:


This painting depicts Fall season:


This painting depicts Winter season:


2 comments: